Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Opening Doors

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to begin to dabble in the world of freelance writing. Over the holidays I had some extra time to build a profile on Elance, a website that allows freelance contractors to connect with individuals or companies who need work completed, and to actually seek out jobs to enter bids for. I was awarded my first job on January 9th. Since then, I have completed an additional job for the first person I worked for and have begun to work on another assignment (hence the absence of posts). While I am not making an extraordinary amount of money, I am bring in enough to replace the part-time retail job that I gave up right before Christmas. Obviously, I would prefer to work while sitting on my couch with my husband than in a smelly store in the mall.

Right now, freelance writing is a great way for me to make some extra cash on the side; however, this could be an important opening door for future employment. Specifically, I view freelancing as a great backup plan if I were to lose my job or unexpectedly become pregnant. Lately, Cody and I have had several off-handed discussions about our desire to travel extensively and the possibility of long-term travel...I can bring my laptop anywhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment